EL PLAN: Aston Martin’s masterplan is coming together – so can Alonso ‘finish the job’ and lead them to glory in 2026?
The double world champion, who made his debut more than two decades ago in the 2001 Australian Grand Prix, earlier this month said “I am here to stay” in F1, signing a deal to race for Aston Martin until at least the end of 2026.
27 April 2024
Lawrence Barretto
F1 Correspondent & Presenter
Formula One - Official Site

Age is but a number to the Spaniard, who reckons he’s leaner and fitter than he’s ever been before. His reactions are seemingly as sharp if not sharper than on the first day he turned a racing wheel – and he’s clearly still got the speed and racing instincts. In committing to Aston Martin – in what is the longest contract of his career, he says, as it includes a commitment to stay with the brand in a non-racing role when he eventually hangs up his helmet – he put retirement on the back-burner yet again.

“[Retirement] came to mind,” he says when we chatted on the terrace of the Aston Martin hospitality unit in China. “I know that day will happen eventually – and soon. This is probably my last contract in F1 and I wanted to make sure I was in a happy place that was ambitious enough to fight for championships hopefully in 2026. We did some great things in 2023 and I think we’re at the start of this journey. It felt natural to keep on the project – and finish the job.”

‘Finish the job (EL PLAN)’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...48j5pk8uuQIYOW

Alonso's 'rare' longevity inspires admiration from rivals
28/04/2024 at 08:18
Andrew Lewin
F1i.com

Alonso already holds the record for the most Grand Prix races started since his debut in Australia in 201. The number will hit an astonishing 400 by the time the season gets to Qatar, assuming he takes part in all the rounds until then. "I think it takes a lot of dedication," McLaren driver Lando Norris told the media in China last week when asked about Alonso's formidable endurance. "I don't think anyone thinks Fernando lacks that in any way.”

Red Bull driver Sergio Perez, himself among the older tier of drivers at 34, said that Alonso's longevity in the sport was less to do with physical endurance than it was his mental stamina and drive. "I have a tremendous amount of respect for Fernando," the Mexican driver said. "Not because he can drive until he’s 45 or 50. It's the level of motivation that he has in the sport after so many years.”

"Drivers can go as long as they want. There is not a physical limitation, it's more to do with motivation," he insisted. "There's so many races, Formula 1 really takes a lot out of your life. You give everything to the sport. It's something that I have huge respect for, for Fernando."

‘Alonso's 'rare' longevity’;

https://f1i.com/news/506440-alonsos-...om-rivals.html

Trouble for Fernando Alonso? Eddie Jordan warns F1 is ‘making a very serious mistake’
25 Apr 2024 5:00 PM
Oliver Harden
PlanetF1.com

Asked if Alonso’s stay is a good thing or whether the two-time World Champion is hanging on for too long, Jordan said: “Hanging on, I think, but he’s able to drive the car as quickly as anyone else, so why shouldn’t he? I can see people for and against it. Where I’m against it is not his fault. I’m blaming the cars. I’ll never say a Formula 1 car is easy to drive, but it is easier to drive [today].”

“You don’t see the bull [being taken by the horns] like, for example, Nigel Mansell, when he was just about able to get out of the car because his neck was hanging off. David, you were around in this era when fitness was such an important thing. I think at, 45 years of age, if you asked Alonso to go back into a car that is similar [to] 20-odd years ago, I think he would have retired by now and I think a young, up-and-coming person would have had a chance.”

‘Eddie Jordan warns F1 (of EL PLAN)’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernan...n-f1-criticism

‘A lot of respect’ – F1 drivers praise Alonso’s endurance as he extends career with new Aston Martin deal
16:19 Mon, 29 Apr 2024.
Formula One - Official Site

Fernando Alonso’s fellow Formula 1 drivers have shared their respect and admiration for the Spaniard after he committed to a new long-term deal with Aston Martin that will take him into his mid-40s.

Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc shared that view, commenting: “It’s difficult to imagine myself in 15 or 18 years time still in F1. However, we can definitely see how motivated Fernando still is and how high of a level he’s still performing at the moment, and this is what matters at the end – age is a number.”

“On my side, I would love to be racing still for many years. However, I’m not so sure whether [it will be] in F1. I would like to experience other things like Le Mans; that’s definitely a place where I will see myself race one day.”

‘A lot of respect’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...48j5pk8uuQIYOW

'Best win so far' puts Alonso on path to first title
12:35 Wed, 24 Apr 2024.
F1i.com

On this day in 2005, Fernando Alonso took a brilliant victory in the San Marino GP over Michael Schumacher that confirmed the Spaniard as a genuine title contender. Even so, the final part of the race saw him hunted down by a charging Schumacher who was fighting back from a disappointing qualifying that had left the Ferrari starting the race from a distant 13th place on the grid and being held up for a large part of the race by Toyota's Jarno Trulli. Alonso was delighted after managing to hold on to the lead all the way to the chequered flag.

It was Alonso's fourth career win in Formula 1 and his third win that season for Renault after victories in Malaysia and Bahrain. Alonso never lost the lead of the championship standings for the rest of the season, with Raikkonen eventually moving up to second place ahead of Schumacher by the final race of the season in China.

‘On this day in 2005’;

https://f1i.com/images/403179-best-w...rst-title.html

Alonso: Stroll ‘sensitive feedback’ crucial to Aston development
27/04/2024 at 18:11
Phillip van Osten
F1i.com

Fernando Alonso has highlighted the “sensitivity” of Lance Stroll’s technical feedback, a key ingredient in Aston Martin’s car development according to the Spaniard.

Furthermore, Alonso believes that Stroll brings a critical perspective to the table, describing his teammate as being "a lot more sensitive to things" regarding the car's behavior. This heightened sensitivity allows Stroll to provide detailed feedback to the engineers, which Alonso considers "crucial" to improving the car.

“I think Lance and myself, we are trying to help the team as much as we can,” commented Alonso last weekend in China. “I think we have two different driving styles in some conditions. We have two different feelings with the car. I think Lance is a lot more sensitive to things than what I am, which I think is very important for the team.

‘Sensitive feedback’;

https://f1i.com/news/506432-alonso-s...velopment.html